Re: Applying online

Subject: Re: Applying online
From: "Jim Morgan" <Jim -dot- Morgan -at- portalplayer -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:49:39 -0800

This has been an enlightening thread. But I believe an essential point
to the application process is sometimes missed in discussions about
hiring criteria: a business is just a set of relationships. Someone
hired into an organization must fit into a set of relationships, with
the boss, colleagues, SMEs, and the corporate culture. So even though I
think the hard-line "perfect styles" argument cuts out outstanding
candidates--your humble correspondent, for example--I also think those
who hold to the argument can get other outstanding candidates who are
more likely to fit in with their organizations.

In short, I know never to apply to a couple of individuals on this list
for work, but that in no way diminishes my respect for them. It merely
acknowledges that our personalities probably wouldn't fit well in the
workplace. Had I applied, been turned down, and later learned of this
criterion of theirs, I would be grateful to them for not wasting our
time. I see it as a win-win.

In a recent contract posting, I received 60 bids, only 10 of which met
the minimum requirements stated in the ad. (I also received an insult
from one poor soul!) I weeded down to four interviewees based on a
number of written and unwritten criteria. Three of those individuals
would have worked out just fine, so I hired the one whose rate was
slightly lower, and am pleased with the results. Without the unwritten
criteria, I'd still be sorting resumes, but I hate to think how long the
ad would have been if I'd written them!

Best regards,
Jim

Jim Morgan