RE: Applying online

Subject: RE: Applying online
From: "Jim Morgan" <Jim -dot- Morgan -at- portalplayer -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 11:10:57 -0800

> It merely
> >acknowledges that our personalities probably wouldn't fit
> well in the
> >workplace.

Bruce Byfield makes the valid argument:

> That seems like a large leap of logic to me. The interviewing
> process is
> very artificial on both sides. Both sides are often nervous, and both
> are always putting on certain personas. As a result, interviews are a
> very poor indicator of what sort of working relations will
> develop from it.

AFAIK, that has not been my experience (from the hiring side) since
honing my interviewing process. Obviously, I have no way of knowing if I
failed to hire someone who would have been perfect for the job. But in
the past five or so years, I've never been surprised by the results with
someone I did hire. The interviews have been excellent indicators of the
eventual relationship, both the positives and the negatives.

That said, my post referred to the pre-interview weeding process, not
interviews themselves. I guess my basic point is, pragmatism dictates
some unwritten criteria, and if the hiring official is getting good
hires using those criteria, his or her resume review system is
successfully filtering out people who wouldn't fit in--which benefits
both sides.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim Morgan