Re: Rewriting and Streamlining

Subject: Re: Rewriting and Streamlining
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 17:22:02 +0100

>Can any of you offer suggestions on where to begin? I'm thinking of just
>setting aside the manual and work completely from the software .. but I
>think that might be throwing away valuable information and creating more
>work for myself.

Geri,

what you seem to say is that the structure of the current manual is
inferior. This clearly limits the benefits you can work by simply
correcting the language and other elements that are already in place.

This suggests that you impulse - starting from scratch - is the correct
one. Start over and try to find a structure that works. If youhave this
structure, you may find that you can reuse some or all of the existing
text. Or you may be able to slightly modify the new structure, so that it
is not optimal but still good enough and lets you reuse the text.

Of course, you will have to estimate the amount of work this will create
to make sure that you can do the project in the alloted amount of time
(or get more time to do it).

Hope this helps
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 81 79 93 07 12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de
Handelsregister: München HRB 99345