Re: Video to CD - follow-up

Subject: Re: Video to CD - follow-up
From: CHRISTINE ANAMEIER <CANAMEIE -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 12:18:21 -0500

Your "low-end" configuration should be more than adequate for the task. (The one
weak spot might be the 4MB of video RAM, which seems low. Anyone know if this is
an issue for video or not? You wouldn't wanna play Quake on it, but I'm not sure
about video.)

> I'm also guessing it's better to run this video on a CD, rather than
> putting it on a web server and running it through a high speed internet
> connection (not dial-up).

CD is good, but if the connection is truly high-speed, your users could download
the video file and then play it. You'd want one of the more compressed formats
then. I think 22 minutes of MPEG would run about 200MB--too much--while the same
video in .AVI might be about 90MB. These are just rough estimates. For a
streaming format you'd want something even MORE compressed, and then you start
losing quality... I wouldn't try streaming it.

Christine