Re: Tech Writing and McDonald's...

Subject: Re: Tech Writing and McDonald's...
From: Charles E Vermette <cvermette -at- juno -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 12:21:32 -0500

<<<It seems to me that you have fallen prey to a common mistake:
mistaking technical communications for marketing communications. I
believe the example that you so enjoyably discussed was not technical
communications at all. Rather it was marketing communications, which has
to be neither precise nor complete nor even particularly accurate...>>>

Tom, I knew it was a marketing and not a technical communication. I was a
marketing writer before I was a TW, and may wind up going back to it
before this downturn is done:)

Besides just wackiness due to a Friday, a lack of sleep, and last night's
successful completion of my green belt test (I'm half way to a black
belt), I was trying to humorously point out:

* the types of questions one should be asking when writing a tech doc;
* the differences between a bad and good tech doc (have you seen tech
docs with as many holes as my alleged Mickey D doc? I have...)

and, most importantly:

* how just putting something in a specified format does not make it a
technical document.

Charles E. Vermette
85 Washington Park Drive, Norwell MA 02061
781-659-1836
e-mail: cvermette -at- juno -dot- com
web: http://www.charlesvermette.com

Tech writing - keeping broken down rock and rollers from STDs and Drug
overdoses.
(with apologies to Keith Cronin)