RE: certification reading material - nonsummary

Subject: RE: certification reading material - nonsummary
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 12:53:17 -0500

At 12:23 PM +0000 3/1/02, Jane Carnall wrote:

I asked for recommendations on 20 February:
I'd like to include some reading material on the importance
of quality/of doing things right. Mobile phone services are a fairly young
area, and I don't know of any books/websites that deal specifically with the
importance of quality control *in* this area so what I'm looking for is
something more generic but readable advising on the importance of quality
processes in an intelligently convincing manner.<
Any recommendations? <

No recommendations. Evidently no one's read anything good recently. (Or else
no one's written anything good!)

Frankly, I haven't seen much recently that wasn't overblown hype for a particular trademarked "quality process". Ack! Ptui! Nothing that I've encountered recently has had half the good sense of early offerings from the sixties and seventies. Tom Peter's books were inspiring, but a good proportion of his example companies are out of business or struggling to survive in today's chaotic market.

FWIW, you might scour the library stacks for
Roberts, Harry V.
Quality Is Personal: A Foundation for Total Quality Management
1993

You might also browse through the Clemson University Online Quality Resource Guide at
http://deming.eng.clemson.edu/onlineq.html.

--
Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting Services

"The great thing about standards is that there are
so many to choose from." Andrew S. Tanenbaum