RE: What a predicament!

Subject: RE: What a predicament!
From: Steven Brown <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:15:25 -0800 (PST)

If you don't persue a lawsuit, you'll likely take one
of two paths at this point:

1. You can stay with the company.

If you stay, there's a good chance that you will run
into additional disagreements in the future. If that
happens, your mental health may continue to suffer;
I'm familiar with depression, so I know how serious it
is.

2. You can resign.

If you resign, you'll have the advantage when
interviewing with future employers of explaining that
you had professional disagreements with this company.
I think you can put a positive spin on your leaving by
explaining, "The company hired me for my professional
experience and knowledge, yet they opposed some very
significant decisions I made. Their opposition wasn't
within the context of a constructive dialog or
discussion. I was being asked to do things that went
against everything that I know after N years as a
technical writer." And if you have rapport with an
interviewer, "It would be like hiring a professional
chef to cook a meal in your home and then demanding
that he substitute products that he knew were
inferior." I'm paraphrasing a lot here; a substantive
discussion could flow from your experience, but I
would hope that an intelligent, ethical employer would
respect you.

It's a difficult situation, but it's important that
YOU stay in control, taking the high ground.

Let us know how things come out for you.

Steven Brown
Senior Technical Writer

http://greetings.yahoo.com