RE: Tech writers and severance packages

Subject: RE: Tech writers and severance packages
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:18:20 -0500

Dear Anon,

Most times where I have heard of anything like what you're proposing, it has
come in conjunction with an announcement of the imminent demise of the
company. When they announce that they will be closing up shop, they do need
some people to stay on through the bitter end. Those people necessary to
stay and close things down in a tidy fashion are often offered bonuses or
other types of separation packages to ensure that they stay through the end
and not jump ship prior to the official scuttling of the vessel.

Other than that, I think you need to start looking now if you fear that the
iceberg is dead ahead. There's no shame in being a smart rat and getting off
the ship early.

I also have witnessed exactly the kind of 'separation package fall off' that
you mention. When the mighty Wang Labs started its death spiral, many people
were let go and got very decent indeed packages. A year or two later when
only the hard core folks were left, there was practically nothing left. One
guy (principal level writer) with almost 20 years at the company got three
weeks. Contract that to the guy who had just started two weeks before the
first layoff who got 2 months severance ...

Good luck, but remember that luck is preparation meeting opportunity,

John