RE: The Big Lie (was 'Are You a Writer?')

Subject: RE: The Big Lie (was 'Are You a Writer?')
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 12:45:10 -0700

Jeez, between the STC and the MS Manual of Style, I guess all tech writers
are doomed to be crushed under their joint effort at Controlling The
World.

Lighten up, Francis.

The STC is a generic organization that does what it can to help tech
writers of all walks of life. There's no article each month on
Flange-O-Matic Networking Methodology? Then write one and submit it. Think
the meetings are boring? Then volunteer to present at the next one.

It seems like you want it to solve all your problems without you actually
participating in it, and if it's not geared entirely to YOUR particular
line of work, it's nothing but "font fluffery." Oh, and part of some
global conspiracy, to boot.

Wow. Tough room.

Sometimes I think that some of you paid good money for your techie
education (which most of you had NOT at the time intended to use for tech
writing), and don't like the idea that some darn HUMANITIES student could
actually write documents that are useful without them having attended the
same boring chemistry lectures YOU had to attend. Bitter much?

What about the most important "tool" any of us use - our brains? It seems
logical to me that a good tech writer should be fairly smart, and able to
LEARN technology. Then communicate it to others.

But the way some of you express it, we're supposed to know everything
already. I must have forgotten to sign up for Omniscience 101 when I was
registering for my Macrame class. Bummer.

-Keith Cronin

One wonders how some tech writers ever get the opportunity to reproduce.