Re: ISO follies

Subject: Re: ISO follies
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 14:45:47 -0800 (PST)

--- MichaelHuggins -at- aol -dot- com wrote:
> >Be careful, lest you have to take a month off for depression.
> >With pay, of course.
>
> I don't find it particularly witty to make someone else's genuine
> distress the subject of public ridicule.

Michael...I think this is the reason some people are starting to edge
toward this.

Clincal Depression is caused by a chemical inbalance. You could be on
an island in the Bahamas with everything you could possibly need and
still be depressed. Your environment has nothing to do with it.

However, to turn around and say "My job is this, my management is
that, my job responsibilities are the other thing, they're making me
do this, and because of this, I'm diagnosed with depression"
trivializes those who truly suffer from it.

If she is truly depressed, her job didn't do it. If her job IS making
her feel some way, it isn't clinical depression.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
Current gig ending 4/15
Resume: http://www.tdandw.com/Resume_Posada_022202.doc