It's time to go

Subject: It's time to go
From: "Rob Writer" <piercedroo -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 11:31:44 -0600

I?ve been a daily reader of this list for more than five years now. I?ve mostly lurked, but have been moved to post when I thought I had something constructive to post.

I have learned a lot from some very talented and generous (with their time and knowledge) writers. And the TECHWR-L archives continue to be of great value to me.

But somewhere along the way, this list has changed. Or more accurately, we?the posters?have changed this list. The reasons I valued this list so much, especially as I was embarking on my technical writing career, was for the frequent discussions that amounted to ?how to do your job better and more efficiently?, with the occasional topic to commiserate with others who understood our little niche in the world.

I used to look forward to reading this list every morning. I would get to work a half hour early, pour my self a cup of joe, and delight in the knowledge I gleaned from your collective experience. And there always seemed to be something that made me laugh; were did our humor go?

But, as I mentioned before, the tone of this list has changed, considerably. And it?s changed to something that no longer feels comfortable to me. I feel so much derisiveness from this list, and too much of it seems personal.

And I?m part of the problem too. I re-read several of my most recent posts over the last several months. Have I been helpful? Have I offered tips or suggestions on how to make our jobs easier, or how to become a more productive technical writer? No, I haven?t. I?ve made snide remarks disguised as humor or sarcasm. I?ve entered into personal debates with people I don?t even know.

So, it?s time for me to go. I?ll still refer to the archives whenever I need some help. But I feel that the current tone and content of this list no longer benefits me as a technical writer, and has become an unnecessary distraction.

Thank you Eric and Deborah. And to many others on this list. Good luck and success to all of you. And, because it?s my favorite admonition form one of my favorite list members, I?ll get back to work now. Writing. It?s what I do.

Sincerely,
Rob