Re: FrameMaker page numbering issues (x-x versus x)

Subject: Re: FrameMaker page numbering issues (x-x versus x)
From: "Lin Sims" <linda -dot- sims -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:36:08 -0500

It's all in the master pages. In this case, you seem to be using the
same master pages to create the page layout for ALL of your files,
including the About, legal, TOC, etc. If you want the headers and
footers to be different in these documents, you have to create master
pages for them.

If you've already got documents that have those pages showing up the
way you want them to, you can import their page layouts into your
current doc.

Otherwise, your best bet is to set up a blank document with master
pages that are laid out the way you want them to be for your generated
files and to import the page layouts from the template document into
the TOC, etc. If you have other files with page layouts that are
somewhat different from the regular text section and the generated
files, you are again best off with creating a separate "template" file
containing the correct master pages.

Good luck. E-mail me if you have more questions, or try over on the
FrameUser's List.

On 5 Mar 2002 at 10:36, Melissa Clark wrote:

> FrameMaker 6.0 question on page numbering for all of you out there.
>
> I am using mixed page settings for the "chapters" in my manual. Some
> chapters/appendixes have x-x (ie: 1-10 or A-10) while others, like the
> About and legal pages have just x (ie: xviii). I am using the book
> Numbering Properties settings to set each of the chapters.
>
> This works fine for all the individual chapters/appendixes/other
> matter, but when I go to create a TOC OR index, and the referece page
> is set to use <$chapnum>-<$pagenum>, then it does the same thing for
> the front matter of the book, showing an entry in the About as 1-ix
> instead of just ix.
>
> Can anyone suggest a better way to number either just the TOC/Index OR
> the book so that it will work correctly?
Lin Sims

Knowledge is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study Hard. Be Evil.