RE: Single sourcing with Word-Robohelp

Subject: RE: Single sourcing with Word-Robohelp
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 10:49:43 -0800

ron.sering wrote:

| A client has asked my advice on a setup to single source documents
between
| print manuals (PDF actually) and online help. I have been unimpressed
with
| Robohelp's capabilities in this area, but wondered if there were other
| recommendations, either in using Word-Robohelp in a single source
scheme,
| or whether Doc to Help would be better.
|
| I kind of favor using Framemaker and Webworks publisher, but they are
| pretty heavily into Office in this, ahem, office.

If you need to produce both printed (or PDF) and online deliverables,
RoboHelp is not the best choice of tools; its ability to generate
ready-to-go print documents is very limited, and it does not provide
conditional text functionality, which is generally required to
accomplish true single sourcing. Other tools you might consider include
Frame/WWP, as you mention, as well as Doc-To-Help and AuthorIT.

Regards,

D.

David Knopf / Knopf Online / San Francisco, CA / 415.550.8367
mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com / http://www.knopf.com

WebWorks and RoboHelp Certified - RoboHelp MVP
Member, RoboHelp Advisory Board & JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Moderator, HATT & wwp-users

www.ehelp.com/techwr