Re: Challenges to Masters of Rhetoric and Speechifyin'

Subject: Re: Challenges to Masters of Rhetoric and Speechifyin'
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 14:15:49 -0800 (PST)

--- Melody Akins <melodyakins -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:
> 1) I'll be reading along with an open mind, and BOOM! I'll hit a piece of
> rhetoric or an inflammatory phrase. To me, rhetoric is
> sound-and-fury-signifying-nothing, and appeals only to the emotions (whether
> base or noble), so I quit 'paying attention.' Mind is shut. Right there.

Melody, I agree with the content of your post and you suggestion that we focus
more on content than on 'sound and fury' of questionable significance. But I do
want to pick a nit.

I was taught that grammar is the art of sentence construction, and rhetoric was
the art of paragraph and larger construction. With that in mind, I would
suggest that you are actually referring to the polemic content, which has to do
with disputatious or controversial content. That's where the sound and fury
come from.

End of nit pick. <g>

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html
Page Last Updated 02/27/02
--I'm a Tech Writer, dammit, not an Engineer!--

http://mail.yahoo.com/

www.ehelp.com/techwr