RE: Framemaker to HTML or use Dreamweaver?

Subject: RE: Framemaker to HTML or use Dreamweaver?
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 08:01:14 -0500

Hi Laura,

I can't speak to Frame, but I can about Dreamweaver.

If you are moving everything to online, Dreamweaver can really make the
creation and maintenance of HTML documents easy. It also works well with PDF
documents. It's not the answer if you're looking for a single-source
solution. (Personally, I don't believe in single-sourcing for online and
print, but that's another religious war I don't want to start.)

We've been using Dreamweaver to support our 1000+ page Help system for over
a year, and I wouldn't go back to using any of the HAT tools for that
purpose.

We have a few Word-based documents that we incorporate as PDF pages in our
Help system. It seems to work well. Even the conversion of Word-based
content into HTML by cutting and pasting into Dreamweaver isn't too onerous,
once you figure out all the little gotchas.

Hope this helps, or write me offline for more info.

John

John Garison
Documentation Manager
IDe