Re: Framemaker to HTML or use Dreamweaver?

Subject: Re: Framemaker to HTML or use Dreamweaver?
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:19:58 -0800

Laura Winkelspecht wrote,
>>My department is beginning to move a lot of our documentation to our intranet. We need to decide the best way to do that. Currently we use Word 97 for most of our documentation. Our web coordinator uses Dreamweaver to manage our site. We can convert our Word docs to PDF, but we also want some HTML documents. Our other most viable option is to have everyone use Dreamweaver to create HTML docs.<<

You can create HTML docs from Word docs and use Dreamweaver to clean up Word's HTML and do final layout. There are some things you can do in Word to make this conversion easier, but in general it's not a big drama and it is easy to do, at least with Word 97 and Word 2000; I don't have Word XP so I haven't tried it.

John Cornellier said,
>>With Dreamweaver you are working on presentation first, content second. <<

I say, not necessarily, though many people do it that way. If the website designer uses DW templates (as they should), authors can write content outside DW, then they or the website coordinator can apply a template to the content. That's the way I manage my websites. Done properly, a website maintained in DW using templates can be given an entire new look and feel very quickly by simply applying a new template to all the pages. The website designer pays attention to the presentation; the writers pay attention to the content.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/
Taming Microsoft Word 2000, 110 pages of tips and tricks for business and technical documents.
For a contents list, downloading and payment information, go to: http://www.jeanweber.com/books/tameword.htm

www.ehelp.com/techwr