Re: Occupational hazard - carpal tunnel (longish)

Subject: Re: Occupational hazard - carpal tunnel (longish)
From: CarolAnne -dot- Wall -at- minnesotamutual -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 08:06:17 -0600

I want share my experience with Annamarie or anyone else who might be
experiencing wrist pain, and is thinking they are heading down the road to
carpal tunnel or chronic tendonitis. It could be something else.

I suffered with wrist and elbow pain since 1987. At that time, the doctor
diagnosed chronic tendonitis in my right arm that could possibly lead to
carpal tunnel. I did all the wrist splints, drugs, vitamins, etc.
everything short of the actual surgery because they wouldn't recommend it.
The tests never showed I was bad enough for surgery. For years I just
lived with the pain and/or ate alot of ibuprofen. Last year it got so
bad, I finally saw a doctor again (different doctor, different health
plan). He surprised me by sending me to a physical therapist.

The PT determined the issue was in my shoulder, not my wrist and arm. (I
had been in several automobile accidents in college and always injured my
right shoulder.) Over the years, the shoulder became unstable, pressed on
nerves, and caused the pain. Of course, I had lousy posture and bad
mousing habits which added to the pain.

After 3 treatments for my shoulder, the pain in my arm and wrist was
significantly better. After 10 treatments, the pain was completely gone
and I had regained my mobility. I now have a series of exercises I do to
keep my shoulder muscles strong. I can mouse and type to my heart's
content. I am so thankful for that PT referral.

Carol Anne

Carol Anne T. Wall, FLMI
Technical Writer - Individual Business Technology, Minnesota Life Insurance
Company
carolanne -dot- wall -at- minnesotamutual -dot- com

www.ehelp.com/techwr