Re: web animation

Subject: Re: web animation
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 17:46:10 -0600

>It's not just a matter of file size, since some animation can have quite
>small file sizes; it's the distraction and irritation factor. Designers
>must consider whether animation is likely to drive away more potential
>customers/clients/employers that it attracts, whether or not the animation

>serves a useful purpose. By making animations optional for the visitor,
you
>can provide for both groups.

The technique you cite has a down side,w hich is that it increases download
time, as the vistor has to wait for the animation to download on clicking.

As a general rule I agree with you on animation, but there are instances
where it's useful to explain something (one of the more interesting uses of
animated gifs I've seen was someone who had animated a chess game, one
frame per move, and you could watch it play out in front of you). Another
thing to consider: AOL's graphics caching server can mung gifs pretty
badly. It keeps its hands off animations, however.

Like everything else, the answer is "it depends." Know your audience, know
the technical issues, and make your choice.

There aren't as many hard and fast rules about the web as people selling
guidelines want you to believe.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224