Re: web animation

Subject: Re: web animation
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:15:36 -0800

Steven Jong SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com wrote:

One useful trick is that you can capture and save a single frame of an
animation with practically no effort. You could display a static image, and
let the user know that clicking on it starts an animation.

That would be my preference. All the animations I recall as being useful to me (and I've seen some excellent demos and examples that used animation) had some way for me to turn it on when I wanted to, but leave it static if I didn't want it animated at that time.

But animations for the sake of showing off or looking "cool" or non-boring -- no thank you. Possible exceptions are entertainment sites.

It's not just a matter of file size, since some animation can have quite small file sizes; it's the distraction and irritation factor. Designers must consider whether animation is likely to drive away more potential customers/clients/employers that it attracts, whether or not the animation serves a useful purpose. By making animations optional for the visitor, you can provide for both groups.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/