Re: Microsoft Online Help: Collapsible Links

Subject: Re: Microsoft Online Help: Collapsible Links
From: "Martin Page" <mpage -at- csl -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:42:24 -0000

As I recall, it's called "expanding text", a standard Dynamic HTML feature
in HTML Help, available through RoboHelp without coding - you just select
the text and choose the effect from a menu.

"Cedric Simard" <cedricns -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote in message
news:146399 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Hi all,
>
> If any of you works at Microsoft, this mail is for you! If any of you are
> developping online help at MS, this mail is even more for you.
>
> In some Microsoft online helps, you can find what I will call "collapsible
> links", that is, links that make appear text that was not displayed before
> you clicked them. The text is displayed in the same Window/panel the link
is
> in, generally just below the link.
>
> This help feature is extensively used in Windows and Office XP online
helps.

> Here are my two questions about it:
> FIRST QUESTION
> Is there an official MS term to refer to what I call "collapsible links"?
>
> SECOND QUESTION
> How are these collapsible links created?
>
> - They seem to be produced using simple javasript (In the code, you can
find
> the following: onclick="doSection(Expand1, button1)" ).
> Am I right? I have to tell I'm not a javascript expert.
> So... Is there ONLY ONE javascript function that is called each time this
> feature needs to be used in a help topic? I guess yes. In that case, where
> is it located, and above all: How do technical writers to implement it/use
> it at authoring time? Do they have to write the code corresponding to that
> function directly into the HTML source code (I guess no) or do they have a
> special option in their Doc Authoring Tool that just require them to do 2
or
> 3 clicks to create a "collapsible link"?
>
> By the way, does anybody knows what tool(s) MS techical writers do use to
> produce their online helps? Do they only use HTML Help workshop,
> Robohelp...? Talking about Robohelp: I've not used that tool for years. So
> may be "collipsable links" are just a basic option in the latest version o
> Robohelp...
> In that case, please accept apologies for my ignorance.
> Does this feature exist as a default option in any other Doc Authoring
Tool?
> In any case, my question about javascript remains valid.
>
> CS

http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr

Check out the TECHWR-L Site redesign!