RE: More on Validating documentation

Subject: RE: More on Validating documentation
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 12:04:19 -0500

I had one contract assignment that was somewhat similar to what Kim describes (although not so extreme).

The situation was that the developers were employed by a large consulting firm that has since changed its name to protect the guilty (rhymes with an accounting firm that has been in the news lately). They were woefully behind on developing the system and under the gun to be productive at their high hourly rate.

The customer, disgusted with the consultant's progress to date, brought in a much smaller consulting firm to put together the doc team.

The developers were friendly enough in a social sense (well, most of them), but they were under strict instructions not to "waste" their precious time responding to queries from the doc team. Anything we couldn't suss out ourselves had to go up one chain and down another, with virtually no likelihood of actually getting a timely answer.

Conclusion: lousy management at all levels. We did our best in a bad situation. But if you are invited to work for someone who has a big consulting firm doing the development and you won't be part of their team--walk away.

Dick

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr