ADMIN: Thanks, folks

Subject: ADMIN: Thanks, folks
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:56:19 -0700 (MST)

Gang,
I greatly appreciate the assistance that
several of you are providing me in determining
that, in your various opinions, my posting
yesterday violated the TECHWR-L
list rules.

My posting:
> Could anyone who is using Mac OS X for technical
> writing (or extensively at home) and would be willing to
> briefly help with a small project, please contact me
> offlist.
> Thanks.
> Eric
> ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

A number of TECHWR-L members have seen fit to point out
that, in their opinion, this is an ad.

[Eric the listowner thinks....hmmm....a list
member needs someone to volunteer 5 minutes of time
to answer a couple of questions and grab a
screenshot or two. Approximately 100 messages
are posted to the list every day asking for help
with a variety of things. This poster doesn't seem
to be selling anything, offering to hire anyone,
or announcing anything--he just wants help through
some mechanism that's easier and cheaper than
_purchasing_ a Mac with OS X. According to
the TECHWR-L rules, it's OK. Additionally, a
page on the TECHWR-L Web site clarifies what
ads are at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/abouttechwhirl/noadspolicy.html
and this request for help doesn't seem to be in
violation of that either. OK, so the message is
acceptable. If Eric, the listowner, happens to be
the person who is asking for help, does this change
how the rules fit the situation? Can't see how it
would. OK, so it's fine.]

If I thought that these messages were actual attempts
to be helpful, I'd probably respond differently,
but for some reason I don't regard those messages
quite so charitably. If you want to be pedantic
and attempt to twist the listowner's words to
hoist him with his own petard, do consider that he'll
be applying your standards to your postings as well.

Contact me offline with questions.
Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr