Job Requirements (was Ethical Companies)

Subject: Job Requirements (was Ethical Companies)
From: Sue Ellen Adkins <sea -at- best -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 21:55:11 -0800

My only comment is that the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is designed to prevent discrimination against disabled employees.

And isn't it better to have someone working than collecting disability payments from the government?

At 7:11 AM -0800 3/28/02, Andrew Plato wrote:

"Sue Ellen Adkins" <> wrote in message news:147629 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

I consider all types of discrimination unethical. Job descriptions
are unreasonably written without any consideration for what is
required to perform the job. For example, in one posted job
description for a Senior Technical Writer, the person had to be able
to "stand" and give a 30-minute presentation. What does standing have
to do with giving a presentation?

Because it looks bad to be sitting down while presenting information. A
presenter cannot effectively communicate with an audience when he/she is
sitting down.

Possibly this is because we are accustomed to having the presenter standing. This is for a technical writer; I don't know any writers who make a lot of presentations.

A company has a right to set requirements for a job. And when people fail to
meet those requirements, those people should not be considered for the job.

This is true only if the requirements are relevant to the job. It isn't any more legal to require that writers be able to walk than to require that writers be male--if the only reason for the requirement is that people are more comfortable working with them.

It is perfectly acceptable and normal for companies to do this. And they
should. People who are unable to perform aspects of a job should not be
considered for the job.

I don't think its really fair to extend legitimite discrimmination regarding
race, sex, national origin, etc. to work requirements such as the ability to
lift, stand, or travel.

If a job requirement required that a technical writer be able to lift a three-strand bale of hay (over 100 pounds), I would wonder how the requirement related to the job. If I were applying for a job as a farm hand, it would be relevant.

sue ellen

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr

Check out the TECHWR-L Site redesign! http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/