Re: FrameMaker 5.5 Issue (Finding Strings/Fonts)

Subject: Re: FrameMaker 5.5 Issue (Finding Strings/Fonts)
From: Sheila Carlisle <scarlisle -at- axialinfo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 12:21:49 -0800

Bill, the font choice doesn't have any bearing on whether or not the text is searchable in FrameMaker.

Unfortunately there is no way in FrameMaker to search for text within variables.

The only way to make searchable text from your variables would be to convert the variables back to text. If you double-click on one of the variables and choose "Convert to Text", you can choose whether you want to convert 1) Selected Variable (meaning just this ONE instance of the variable), or 2) all the "Variables Named" (meaning you choose the specific variable name and ALL instances of the variable will be converted to text), or 3) All Variables (this isn't often used.)

But of course the downside of this is that the text will no longer have the advantages of being a variable, it will be regular text.

If you haven't yet come across it, the FrameMaker forum on the Adobe website's User-to-User forums is a great place to get FrameMaker-specific advice and information.

Hope this helps -- Sheila

I downloaded a new font recently that I thought would look great for our Headings. In the middle of replacing strings with variables, however, I realized that the font I choose is not searchable by string. We're using FrameMaker 5.5. Is there a quick solution to this problem?

Sheila Carlisle
Axial InfoSolutions Inc.
Automated Publishing Solutions / Authorized Miramo Reseller
http://www.axialinfo.com http://www.miramo.com