Re(2): (Possibly OT) Can I quote you?

Subject: Re(2): (Possibly OT) Can I quote you?
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 14:09:09 +0200

>> I believe the proper etiquette for quoting an
>> individual on something said in a discussion
>> would be to email them directly and ask for their
>> permission.
>
>It's not just proper etiquette, it's the law.
>And you may quote me on that. Er, if you have
>my permission.
>
>Material posted to a discussion list does not
>burst automatically into the public domain.
>Copyright remains with the author.

Mark,

I think there is a confusion between quoting and general use of
copyrighted material here:

Quoting means repeating small parts of what somebody else has said or
written. (What 'small' exactly means can be open to interpretation, but
one or two sentences almost always emet this definition.)

Quoting does not require that the quoted text be in the public domain.
(You rightly pointed out that the postings to this list aren't.) The
right to quote is one of the few 'fair use' exceptions there are to the
general copyright of the author.

One of the sources you gave - "10 Big Myths about copyright explained" -
includes a description (from which I quote ;-)

>Fair use is usually a short excerpt and almost always attributed. (One
>should not use more of the work than is necessary to make the
>commentary.) It should not harm the commercial value of the work -- in
>the sense of people no longer needing to buy it (which is another reason
>why reproduction of the entire work is a problem.)

Quoting is in fact explicitely protected in copyright law because
otherwise reasoned critique and science would be severly hindered.

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 81 79 93 07 12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de
Handelsregister: München HRB 99345