Re(2): HUMOR: STC Conference Time!

Subject: Re(2): HUMOR: STC Conference Time!
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:04:22 +0200

>Let's see if I have this right. A half-dozen disgruntled folks on a mailing
>list versus the small army of technical communicators who find enough value
>in the programs to actually spend the time and money to attend. I wonder
>which audience the STC planners will cater to?

Ed,

I have no position in this discussion, never having been an STC member or
attended a conference, but I feel your argument is quite a bit less than
convincing.

If people find something more good as bad (as the attendees seem to find
the STC conferences), that does not prove that the thing couldn't be made
better, does it? Paying money to get better speakers may or may not be a
way to make the conference better, but cannot be dismissed offhand simply
by stating that people go to the confernce regardless.

Also, _if_ you choose to draw conclusions from mere numbers, what about
the 90% or so who do attend the conference? Presumably they have their
reasons, to which the STC planners may wish to attend. How do you know
that the quality of the speakers is not one of their reasons?

Regards
Jan Henning

PS: And it seems quite unnecessary - to put it mildly - that you feel the
need to take this matter to a personal level by denouncing critics as
"disgruntled". (Not to mention the fact that you include one of the STC's
own selectors of presentations for next years conference under this
label, which makes its accuracy seem doubtful.)

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 81 79 93 07 12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de
Handelsregister: München HRB 99345