RE: But seriously now folks ... (was HUMOR: STC Conference Time - )

Subject: RE: But seriously now folks ... (was HUMOR: STC Conference Time - )
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 14:51:54 -0500

Doug,

It all comes down to economics. The STC conference usually draws about 2500
attendees. They generally have about 250 sessions, many of which have
multiple presenters (panelists and the like) Others are different formats -
progressions e.g. - and also have many presenters. Lets say that 10% of the
attendees are speakers. If those 10% get in for free, then the others have
to foot the bill for their entrance fees to keep the revenue flat. If you
then start talking about payments over and above free entry to include hotel
bills, airfare, etc, pretty soon you are talking about doubling the cost for
the attendees.

The society doesn't make money on the conference. Having been in the
conference business and trying to make a living off of it (remember Help
University?) I can tell you that the costs associated with a conference are
huge, and the upfront expenses - which you may or may not make back - are
enormous.

My 2¢ worth,

John