RE: new job, delicacy required?

Subject: RE: new job, delicacy required?
From: Diane Evans <Diane -dot- Evans -at- marconi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 12:48:12 -0800

>My own preference at the moment (given the tools at my disposal) is to
create
>a new template in Word, and work from it.

You are probably choosing the best course of action. You don't have Frame,
and will not get Frame, so there is no debate here. You must do the best
with the tools at your disposal.

As far as "selling" a new format...there are lots of ways to do this. The
best way is to say, "I'm so glad that you asked me to help you. I like to
follow the Microsoft Manual of Style when creating user guides, and it
recommends....". This way, you are not disparaging any former workers, but
can get whatever style you like. (As far as the Manual of Style...if what
you like isn't really referred to in the book, will anyone know?)

With so few employees, there probably is not a set Way It Has Always Been
Done. I love working in small environments as you describe, because it
gives me the best opportunity to use my talents.

Diane Evans
one of three Technical Writers at...
Marconi Wireless, aka MSI, formerly known as Metapath