Re: White Papers

Subject: Re: White Papers
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 19:06:12 -0700

Ed wrote:

My question is: Does anyone have any insight into why there is so little
info on how to write white papers. they are a pretty common document type.

Maybe it's because a white paper is basically an academic essay? This is the assumption on which I write white papers, and, so far, it seems to satisfy clients. I just finished my last one a few weeks ago (the subject: the comparative virtues of data loggers over hygrothermographs; aren't you glad you asked?), and it felt like a return to university

Think about it: for both white papers and academic essays, the tone is one of calm, objectivity. For both, the point is developed with carefully structured proofs. a consideration of contrary views, and an argument that is rational; admittedly, in some cases, a white paper may be designed to sell a product, but it's a very soft sell, in which logical persuasion is the goal.

About the only difference is that, in an academic essay, you have some freedom to reach your own conclusions (unless you have an extremely biased professor or teaching assistant), while, in a white paper, the conclusion is usually a given: the methodology or technology discussed is the one to be adapted. However, so long as you are satisfied that the conclusion is true, there's nothing wrong with that. If you're not satisfied, tof course, then probably you should be looking for a new job.

"In the holy bars of Europe I bowed and said Amen
But when my eyes were open she had vanished once again
I chased her down the highway like lights across the sky
I was looking for perfection of a very basic kind."
-OysterBand, "This Town"