Re: White Papers

Subject: Re: White Papers
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 19:28:28 -0300

HALL Bill wrote:

most white papers are probably written for the same
kind of motivation behind most research papers in an academic environment -
the author's own interests drive the writing. In my own writing I have
referenced many such works on commercial sites. Some (the least useful and
least interesting ones) are fairly obvious marketing documents.
A white paper can be a marketing document, but if it's obviously so, then it's compromising its purpose, and isn't going to be effective.

The kind of product that a white paper sells is one that is a.) expensive enough that people aren't going to be persuaded by the usual marketing techniques and/or b.) the buyers are highly knowledgable about the product, and able and willing to make informed decisions. Either way, the logic of the white paper has to be fairly rigorous, or its effect is likely to be the opposite of what's intended.

White papers are much more interesting and intellectually rewarding to
create.

You too? I thought I enjoyed them simply because they reminded me of my long passage through academia. Two degrees and seven years of teaching makes essays - both writing and reading - very comforting (we all have our perversions, I guess).

"In the holy bars of Europe I bowed and said Amen
But when my eyes were open she had vanished once again
I chased her down the highway like lights across the sky
I was looking for perfection of a very basic kind."
-OysterBand, "This Town"