RE: STC blackmail? (Was: Humor... sort of)

Subject: RE: STC blackmail? (Was: Humor... sort of)
From: "Jean Richardson" <jean -at- bjrcom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:33:19 -0700

Andrew --

> She (and the people she had spoken to) did
> not see technical
> education as important to being a technical writer.

You're referring to me again. This is an extreme--and
inaccurate--interpretation of my views.

All --

It looks like my previous posting was delayed. I hope it's gotten to you
now.

I believe that Andrew was trying to make a point in which he vehemently
believes. It seems he is not wishywashy about anything he chooses to speak
(write) on. I'd prefer that he not leap to conclusions that use me, quite
unflatteringly, to denigrate STC. I can do that well enough on my own, if I
choose to.

I would like to digress a moment in the direction of the dangers of making
assumptions and collections of assumptions and then building a argument
based on those assumptions. Online communication environments, while
extremely useful in so many ways, allow us to communicate with less than 25%
of the "information stream" available face to face. A facile and florid
communicator can create beautiful verbal constructs on the page (or screen)
that engage us with their facility and inflame us with their floridity. The
true content of the exchange increasingly pales in comparison to the
delivery.

I invite all of you to step back from this thread and contemplate that for a
moment. The subtlety of the human network puts computer networks to shame.
However, in my opion, the technical communicator must successfully grapple
with both the human communication and the technical challenges inherent in
their work to truly attain professional mastery.

-- Jean