Re: Conferences: Valuable? Or the Spawn of Satan?

Subject: Re: Conferences: Valuable? Or the Spawn of Satan?
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 08:54:08 -0500

>1. Do you (the average List member) go to conferences regularly?

No. (But then I'm not the average list-member. *That* much I will assert
with vehemence. I will cheerfully leave to the rest of you the direction in
which I differ from average; you all have your opinions, and I shall not
disuade you from holding them.)

>2. Do you only go if your company foots the bill?

I've even not gone to some they *would* have paid for.

>3. Is it a tough sell to get your company to give you A) the time off and
>B) the money (if applicable)?

A is harder than B, but both can be done.

>4. Do you go for your interest in specific topics? Or for the networking
>opportunity? (This answer might be best given in a proportion/percentage)

Interest 90%. For an ancient socially-challenged recovering nerd like
myself, networking Just Doesn't Work.

>5. Are the topics well-chosen?

Only if *I* choose 'em. ;{>} Seriously, if they are, it enhances the
possibility I'll rouse myself out of my stupor and attend.

>6. Are there major and obvious gaps, where subjects that should be
>addressed are glaringly absent?

Specificity is glaringly absent. Everything seems to be general aphorisms,
rather like taking an hour to state the obvious, such as "know your
audience."

>7. Are the topics explored to the correct depth

I'm not sure that's possible in a conference format, one reason for my
repeated absences. Yes, it might be presented as well as it could be
possibly be presented given the general nature of the attendees and the
time restriction. But if that level of information isn't useful to me, it
doesn't make any sense to attend it, does it?

>8. Overall, do you find such conferences worthwhile?

Rarely. I find the same amount of time dedicated to studying a particular
topic or topics, with perhaps an expert available to talk over questions,
to be *far* more beneficial.

>9. Would you spend your own money to attend?

Depends.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224