RE: STC blackmail?

Subject: RE: STC blackmail?
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 11:02:10 -0700

bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com wrote:

| One thing to consider about this thread: most of the people who are
| putting down the STC are non-members. Most of those who have
identified
| themselves as being members have also been supportive of the
organization.

Well, just for the record then: I am an STC member (a senior member, in
fact), having joined sometime in the 1980s. I have been a frequent
presenter at industry conferences, including WinWriters, Help
University, HTC, and so forth, and also at STC chapter meetings (where,
oddly enough, I am never charged an entry fee and almost always am
provided with a free meal and have occasionally even been provided with
overnight accommodations). I do not even consider presenting at STC
conferences because, frankly, I find it insulting to have to pay an
entry fee to a conference at which I am a presenter. (I did once make an
exception to this rule because the region 8 conference was being held in
Honolulu and I thought that would be fun; unfortunately, I got the flu
and couldn't attend.) I understand that STC is not WinWriters, and I
would not expect STC to pay me a cash stipend; however, having to pay an
admission fee is just over the top, AFAIC. I'm not seeking to change
anyone's opinion here, and I'm well aware that STC can easily pull off
its conferences without my participation. This is just another data
point in the discussion.

| If you were a national officer of STC and had to decide between making
the
| members happy or making non-members happy, which would you choose?

If I were a national officer of STC, I suppose I would be concerned with
a lot of things: making the members happy, attracting new members, and
putting on the best possible conferences would all be concerns. Why
should I have to choose among these instead of taking them all on as
goals?

| I'm not denying anybody perceptions of problems in the organization
| (though I do think that some of "problems" amount to a difference in
| peoples' vision of STC's role), but what I am saying is that attacking
it
| from the outside is a lot less likely to cause any significant change
than
| working from the inside to improve it would.

I'm not really interested in working from the inside to improve the
organization. I don't have the time, really. But if STC should ever
change its policy on presenters at conferences, I would change mine, as
well.

Regards,

David Knopf / Knopf Online / San Francisco, CA / 415.550.8367
mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com / http://www.knopf.com

WebWorks and RoboHelp Certified - RoboHelp MVP
Member, JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Moderator, HATT & wwp-users