Re: Ever wonder why techwhirler lives seem so crazy?

Subject: Re: Ever wonder why techwhirler lives seem so crazy?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 19:07:24 -0300

Hart, Geoff wrote:

You can argue with any statistics, of course, but it's safe to assume that
they're broadly valid even if the details are arguable: lots of folks don't
plan well or at all, and their projects often fail.
This might be an unwarranted connection. Lack of planning doesn't necessarily correlate with failure. To give an obvious example, many successful open source projects have very little planning, yet have produce success software.

I think the matter comes down to personality. Some people seem able to bring projects to a conclusion without planning, and it's probably a mistake to shackle them to a formal structure. I came to this conclusion in the days that I taught first year university students the fundamentals of essay writing: some needed meticulous outlines, some had to plunge right in to writing and make their way through trial and error, and most were somewhere in between, or varied their work habits according to circumstances.

The trick, of course, is to tell which people are which - and to coordinate people with different work habits.

"In the holy bars of Europe I bowed and said Amen
But when my eyes were open she had vanished once again
I chased her down the highway like lights across the sky
I was looking for perfection of a very basic kind."
-OysterBand, "This Town"