Formatting a plain-text resume (kinda long)

Subject: Formatting a plain-text resume (kinda long)
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:25:46 -0600

I was surprised that I wasn't able to find information about this in the
archives (maybe 'cause it doesn't allow for use of styles <g>), but I was
wondering if anybody has any nifty approaches for making plain-text
resumes more attractive and easier to skim/read.

Many companies have Web pages offering online job applications, where
you're forced to paste the TEXT of your resume into a form. My "pretty"
resume (done in Word, using styles MOST of the time) has lots of bullets
listing reasons why I'm so fabulous. But how do you approach lists when
dealing with ASCII text?

Here are the options I've come up with so far, which explore the use of
line spacing and pseudo-bullets. (I've also tried tabs, but am not
convinced they will be conveyed properly when transmitted via a form.)

OPTION 1 - (pseudo-bullets)

1999-2002: Word Guru for a company that does stuff, located somewhere.
Reasons I'm fabulous include the following:

- I bathe frequently, often using both soap AND water.
- I always use styles. Except for when I can't be bothered. And none of my
styles have funny names. Well, hardly any of them.
- Small furry rodents seem to enjoy the pleasure of my company, whilst the
larger, more daunting ones seem to keep their distance.
- I'm a member of SRUS (the Society for the Responsible Use of Spandex), a
non-profit organization that discourages overweight middle-aged men from
wearing bike shorts.

OPTION 2 -(line spacing)

1999-2002: Word Guru for a company that does stuff, located somewhere.
Reasons I'm fabulous include the following:

I bathe frequently, often using both soap AND water.

I always use styles. Except for when I can't be bothered. And none of my
styles have funny names. Well, hardly any of them.

Small furry rodents seem to enjoy the pleasure of my company, whilst the
larger, more daunting ones seem to keep their distance.

I'm a member of SRUS (the Society for the Responsible Use of Spandex), a
non-profit organization that discourages overweight middle-aged men from
wearing bike shorts.

OPTION 3 - (both, with tabs thrown in for good measure, although they
might not appear in the final result - I'm posting THIS message via a Web
form, so we'll see...)

1999-2002: Word Guru for a company that does stuff, located somewhere.
Reasons I'm fabulous include the following:

- I bathe frequently, often using both soap AND water.

- I always use styles. Except for when I can't be bothered. And none of
my styles have funny names. Well, hardly any of them.

- Small furry rodents seem to enjoy the pleasure of my company, whilst
the larger, more daunting ones seem to keep their distance.

- I'm a member of SRUS (the Society for the Responsible Use of Spandex),
a non-profit organization that discourages overweight middle-aged men from
wearing bike shorts.

As you can see, some of the list items are longer than a single line,
which makes the pseudo-bullets look weird on lines other than the first.
But if I don't use bullets, any sense of hierarchy goes bye-bye.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

-Keith Cronin

To any employers doing background checks: This message was certainly NOT
written by the job candidate YOU'RE looking at. No way! Different guy.
Really.