Re: Telecommuting

Subject: Re: Telecommuting
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 08:17:53 -0600

David Castro posted a description of his telecommuting situation, which
frankly sounds pretty great. I've also corresponded with John Gilger
offlist, and have learned more about his work situation, for which
telecommuting sounds pretty viable.

It sounds like David's company functions as sort of a "virtual office,"
wherein MOST of the key people telecommute. If that's the structure of the
company, that's terrific. I'm frankly envious.

My earlier post regards the situation where telecommuting is the exception
rather than the rule. I've worked in two companies where that was the
case, and the employees operating remotely were simply not as well
integrated into the company's way of business as the in-house employees
were.

Perhaps the all-key-people-under-one-roof idealogy is becoming
old-fashioned. In such companies, I find that as an in-house employee it
is more of a hassle to interact with telecommuters than to contact other
workers in the building.

I guess my main point is to make sure that your telecommuting is as
convenient and effective for everybody ELSE you deal with as it is for
YOU. Otherwise it's a selfish choice more than a practical one.

Keith Cronin
stuck in a cube
at least until the next layoff