Poll suggestion: Lurkers

Subject: Poll suggestion: Lurkers
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 09:32:03 -0600

This is addressed mostly to Deb, but I wanted to explain my reasoning.

I'd like to poll the lurkers. My question: Why lurk?

I get contacted frequently offlist by lurkers who "decloak" long enough to
respond to something I've posted. Almost without fail, their comments are
VERY helpful, and offer insights that I do not see reflected on the List.
I sometimes include their input (anonymously) if a thread I've initiated
merits a summary, but often I feel that the rest of the List is truly
missing out on some valuable input.

This List is frequently dominated by a few dozen members who make up a
very vocal minority, which can be daunting to contend with, particularly
if you disagree with something a particularly garrulous and argumentative
poster has to say. While much of what these "frequent flyers" post is of
value (IMO), I know from what I find in my personal Inbox that there are
other opinions out there.

I thought about polling you folks directly, asking you to respond to my
address. But I assume anonymity is an important factor for many of you, so
I think the neutral ground offered by the checkboxes in an "official"

Off the top of my receding hairline, I'd think some possible poll answers
might include:

Don't want to get flamed
Don't want my name/address getting out
Don't want my company to see my post
Don't want a bunch of people writing to me
Don't feel qualified
Scared of a particular List member
What's the point?
Too shy

Okay, that's my suggestion. I'd love to see more diversity on this List,
and hope that this might encourage more lurkers to post. Unless of course
they disagree with one of MY opinions! :)

-Keith Cronin
who has gone down in flames more than once, and has survived. It can be
done. See his inspiring story tonight at 7PM on The LifeTime Channel: "The
Sig Line that Couldn't Be Erased"......