Re: Poll suggestion: Lurkers

Subject: Re: Poll suggestion: Lurkers
From: Fred Sampson <fred -at- fredsampson -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 10:46:58 -0700

While I do post occasionally, there are three reasons I don't post more:

1. The question's been answered (or issue addressed) as well as I could, so I'd just be saying "me too."
2. I can't state my answer succinctly and clearly in a brief message; I won't read long messages, and can't always spend the time and energy it takes to state my viewpoint properly.
3. Don't want to get flamed. Too many times, when I do post, the responses to my posting range from negative to nasty. Some are merely misunderstandings of what I tried to say, to which I ascribe my failing to communicate adequately. Some are just mean: at one point I was called a raving communist. Now, those of you who are communists might not mind, but I found it unnecessary.

I think there would be less lurking and more communication here if everyone could accept disagreements as valid opinion instead of opportunities for vilification.

Fred

Off the top of my receding hairline, I'd think some possible poll answers
might include:

Don't want to get flamed
Don't want my name/address getting out
Don't want my company to see my post
Don't want a bunch of people writing to me
Don't feel qualified
Scared of a particular List member
What's the point?
Too shy