Re: Frame/Illustrator Q

Subject: Re: Frame/Illustrator Q
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:59:27 -0400

Hi Damien,

When you are saving the Illustrator file, are you first converting all of your text to ? (Or, if you are not doing that, does Frame make an AI-to-outlines EPS conversion when you are linking to an AI file)? If so, that would explain at least part of the problem.

When type is converted to outlines, you lose all anti-aliasing. Any pixel that an outline intersects turns full-on black. This makes text look chunky and pixellated on the monitor at normal magnification. However, it prints fine, and at high magnification it looks okay on screen. Try printing the page and seeing how it looks.

As for the composition characteristics, make sure you are setting the type as text and have kerning and other paragraph features turned on. Don't manipulate the text as an art object if you can avoid it.

HTH,

Dick

From: "Damien Braniff" <DBraniff -at- amphion -dot- com>