RE: Anyone using Wiki for collaboration?

Subject: RE: Anyone using Wiki for collaboration?
From: Megan Golding <mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 16 Apr 2002 16:29:21 -0400

Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info> asked:

On Tue, 2002-04-16 at 15:48, Richard Smith wrote:

> blogs, wikis, slashcode, phpnuke, zope-cmf, ...
>
> These are a bunch of different types of what are basically web content
> management systems designed with different purposes in mind. Each (of
> the
> ones I listed) requires a different back-end, but the purpose is to
> provide
> a web interface to allow various contributors to publish content to a
> site.

Richard is right on the mark here -- many developers have realized that
the web is a great medium for collaboration but have realized that
writing HTML means 1) having access to the server for uploading files
and 2) HTML "coding" skills. Both requirements make it really difficult
for quick discussions and frequent updates to web pages.

Wiki departs from blogs because they are designed for a group to use.
Its my understanding that a blog is more like a diary, where one person
provides content.

Wiki is different from slashcode (used most notably on
http://slashdot.org) because it allows users to modify any part of the
page rather than just add comments to the bottom. Wikis make updating
information easier.

If you visit http://twiki.org, you'll be able to browse through a
running Wiki. Visit the Test web where you can create postings and get
comfortable with the concept. Go ahead! Warning: Wiki is incredibly
addictive.

I tend to think of Wiki as an intranet that anyone can control. Sure,
its a risk. We keep development testing schedules on some pages. A
marketing person could come in and delete that information. In giving up
control, we accept this risk. The particular Wiki implementation I
chose, TWiki, has revision history...which minimizes the "what if
someone deletes this important information?" risk.

Meg
--

Megan Golding (mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net)
SecureWorks, Inc.

Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.
-- Timothy Leary