RE: charging for the "commuting" part of telecommuting?

Subject: RE: charging for the "commuting" part of telecommuting?
From: "Thomas Eagles" <tekwriter -at- sympatico -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 04:45:35 -0400

Maybe this response has already been posted, but... perhaps this is
something that can be negotiated. I certainly wouldn't consider it
"common sense" or "automatic" that business travel (as in airplanes and
hotels) is part of doing business, that it should not be separately
billed, or that time for travel should not be listed in an invoice. But,
then again, I'm a greedy bastard. ;-)

OTOH, if it's just a 30 km (20 mile) trip back and forth to the office,
that might be a cost of doing business. Discuss it upfront with the
client. If you think discussing it will cast you in a bad light with
regard to winning the contract, then use it as a carrot that *you* will
not(implying that others WILL) charge for commuting expenses. Just a
thought.

---Suzanne Townsend wrote:
>> Just as a point of interest -- a few years ago a banker
>> told me that Arthur Andersen was the ONLY consulting
>> company that charged for time and expenses in travelling
>> to their clients. If you are self-employed, this is
>> usually a cost of doing business. I agree, build it into
>> your hourly rate -- and/or deduct the expenses on your
>> tax return!

TTFN.

Tom.

/ _\ tekwriter -at- sympatico -dot- ca |
\/\_______ http://www.tekwriter.com |
/ _ * / 905.509.1838 (main) |
__ ___ /----\ / 905.626.8466 (mobile) V
|****** / |/ >>Corporate & Technical |
|***** / Documentation Services<< |
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." -- Darth Vader