RE: Goodbye TECHWR-L

Subject: RE: Goodbye TECHWR-L
From: "Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes (EAA)" <Sean.O'Donoghue-Hayes -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 17:53:33 +1000

Damn!

and Double Damn!! (he adds after reading this quickly written email)

I wasn't going to write this!

I, for one, shall...*gulp*.....miss the presence of Andrew Plato Esq.

Yes I didn't agree with a lot of what he said. Yes, at times I thought he
did play the player not the ball (however that was my perception - and email
is often about perception and impression and reading a voice into words that
was not perhaps there).

But also Yes he did have valuable things to say and contributions to give.
And YES! if half of what he writes other Technical Writers did are fact - in
regard to his comments on threats and so on - then I am greatly disappointed
with technical writing as a profession. And yes sometimes we did require
someone to say "now go back to work" and "now clean up your room" (actually
the second one was my mother when I was living at home!)....for we as a
community would be arguing about fontsize as if the fate of
nations/sheep-stations hung in the balance rather than, in many cases,
personal preference.

For I have heard from people who have met him that Andrew in person is quite
personable - and many of his emails show a distinct "appearance" of humour.
Something that we can all use when working/creating/inspiring.

Andrew was always a great wall - you could throw the ball up against him and
see what the reaction was - and know that the reaction he gave was different
from the majority of technical writers - but also most probably NOT
different from the majority of people who end up paying our salaries and
offering positions at the companies at which we work.

Without Andrew how will I know how to answer those important questions at
the next job interview about making the customer happy and getting the bills
paid on time as against I will only use Word 2.3 to do documentation and
everything must be in 12 point Wingdings or else I am failing in my ethical
regard to the technical writing community!!! (In case you are wondering I
think the customer is always right is a good answer - and the better Andrew
answer - I suspect - would be the customer is always right....and after that
the customer pays for the right of being so right everything has to be
redone beyond a reasonable level of quality...).

I won't ask Andrew to come back. That is up to him - and I am sure that he
is adult enough to make such decisions for himself.

He shall be missed, his views shall be missed. Especially if I don't always
agree with him!

as I said at the start. Damn!

regards and thanks,
Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes