Re: Tech Writing Question

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Question
From: greg -dot- hamill -at- teradyne -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:07:21 -0400

Kat Nagel posted...

At 3:11 PM -0700 4/17/02, Richard Sanchez wrote:
>I have another question regarding writing user
>manuals.
>
>Is there often a step where the tech writer has access
>to some type of spec type documentation or writers
>just start from scratch?

If you're lucky, you will get a copy of the system specifications or
the requirements doc. If you're REALLY lucky, one of these (rarely
both) will bear some resemblance to the product prototype that you
will use for screen shots. And if you are truly blessed by the gods,
the specs/requirements/prototype will actually include all the
functions (and only those functions) that are operational in the
product that is shipped.

We get different information here. Occasionally we get the specifications
on instruments. Typically, it is a 30-150 page proposal in flux. "Can you
write this up? Wait a minute. We've revised section 1.3.4a." I have coined
the word vapordoc, meaning documentation on vaporware.

Greg