Geoff Hart's My Hero

Subject: Geoff Hart's My Hero
From: "Bob Hooker" <rlhooker -at- telocity -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 19:45:23 -0400

A point the many of the people discussing the "Goodbye TECHWR-L" postings
have been trying to make is that one can disagree without being
disagreeable. Unfortunately, it's a point that seems to keep getting lost.

Many of the people who post regularly are helpful, professional, and, above
all, respectful of other posters' questions and points of view, even though
they may disagree with them. Although there are a number of people in this
category, to me Geoff Hart exemplifies all that is good about TECHWR-L.
Always thoughtful, thorough, courteous and, yes, even wryly humorous at
times, one could certainly do worse than to emulate his style of very civil
discourse. Note that he never attacks, but rather discusses, the relative
merits of various points of view.

Bland? I don't think so. I often read Geoff's posts, even though they may be
on topics in which I have little or no interest, because they are
well-reasoned and, above all, civil. For that reason alone, if for nothing
else, I find them refreshing. He, and several others, are proof positive
that people can have a spirited exchange of points of view without getting
mean or ugly.

Am I advocating a list of 5,000 Geoff Harts? No, not really, but I do think
it worth keeping in mind that disagreeing without being disagreeable is not
only possible but often far more enlightening and more valuable than the
alternative.