RE: SDLC and role of Tech.Writers

Subject: RE: SDLC and role of Tech.Writers
From: "Carey Jennifer (Cry)" <jennifer -dot- carey -at- cdi -dot- cerberus -dot- ch>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:36:04 +0200

C.S. Rajan asked about our role in the software development life cycle...

As far as I know, there is no single answer to this question. There are a
number of possible roles.

Some writers are fully contributing members of the core group that performs
analysis and specifications definition, and continue to contribute
throughout the cycle (usability evaluations, gui design input etc.).

Others may be part of the cycle in that they are kept updated about changes
that may affect the documentation, included in meetings, etc.

Others come in toward the end of the cycle to document the product when it's
near to completion, usually from the product rather than the functional
specs.

I'm sure that more technical tech-writers can provide additional insight
about their roles in the cycle as they have an additional / different set of
skills that could come into play.

In the end, I believe in looking at the way things are done at your specific
organisation,evaluating where you currently fit in and where you would like
to fit in. Depending on the culture of your organisation, you may find that
you can contribute a great deal to the SDLC.

Jennifer