Publish 400+ Excel Spreadsheets?

Subject: Publish 400+ Excel Spreadsheets?
From: Barry Thistlethwaite <bthis -at- enotify -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 18:22:52 -0500

Hello,

I have a potential client who needs to create documents containing
400 to 1500 Excel spreadsheets for print and display. Users must be able
to edit the spreadsheets (in Excel) and have them automatically update
in the document. The user must also be able to delete and add
spreadsheets without screwing up the entire flow. He needs an active,
auto-generated TOC. Most of the spreadsheets are one (8-1/2 inch x 11
inch) page.

I think I could do it in FrameMaker, but I'm concerned about:

1) Links to Excel spreadsheets can be fickle; I don't need them
disappearing just before printing.
2) Losing the formatting on import. I believe he wants them to look just
like they do when printed out from Excel.
3) Importing spreadsheet objects does not give access to the text, so
the headings (for the TOC) would have to be manually entered. I don't
know if this will be a problem for him or not.

Has anybody done this, either straight from Excel or by PDFing the
spreadsheets? I meet with him tomorrow (Tuesday) to discuss what he
wants to accomplish.

Any tips would be deeply appreciated.

TIA,

--Barry