Re: Font Selection Methodology

Subject: Re: Font Selection Methodology
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 19:14:21 -0300

Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com wrote:

It doesn't mean anything in terms of
typesetting except non-blurred printing and type large enough to be read.
That certainly doesn't take anything more than minutes to determine, and
probably seconds is more likely.

I agree that you don't have to become obsessive about typography, but there are far more considerations in typography than you mention. Just because you aren't interested in them or don't notice them doesn't mean that they don't exist.

Is it more important to find the right words to
accurately describe the process, or to present the words in the perfect
font?
It's not an either-or question. Being concerned with design doesn't have to mean ignoring content. Typography can have valid purposes in usability or in corporate branding. To ask my own rhetorical questions: does it matter whether the information is accurate if it isn't presented so that it's easy to scan and find sections in it? Or if the information is accurate, but makes the company that issues the documentation look cheap or stodgy?

To me, the obvious answers are that you want both accuracy and design if you can have them. Many tech-writers ignore design, and I have no doubt that there's a niche for them. then there are the graphic designers who only deal in layout. However, those of us who work both sides of that particular street have a niche, too - and often enough we're hired in preference to those who only work one.

"Better fail in a grand style than succeed in a mean one - you won't enjoy the successes you get the second way."
- Fritz Leiber, "The Oldest Soldier"