Re: lurkers and lurking

Subject: Re: lurkers and lurking
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 12:43:41 -0600

> >Sure, we lurk. We are trying to learn, because to a great extent, we are
> >the tech writers of the future. We are the ones with whom you will be
> >competing, not just for new positions, but for the positions you already
> >hold--and we are better trained, better educated, and better motivated
than
> >many of the current group of tech writers who seem to have gained
> >employment in (what used to be)a high-demand employment field.
>
> This is a very American mindset, if you pardon me. You can easily gain
> employment and excel without competing. Ones learn most from those who
one
> works with, no opposes by competing.

Actually, it's a very cartoonish version of American business. The whole
"better trained, better motivated blah blah" stuff comes across as silly to
myself (and I'd venture a whole lot of other techwriters)- especially when
this person seems like a pod regarding instructors and learning in college.
It's nice for a kid out of college to have self-confidence, but
self-delusion is another matter. There's a woeful lack of evidence of
motiviation, training, and education that will help this student understand
how to work in an organization.

BTW, you can excel at your job without competing - even in America. But
unless someone hands you a job (perhaps that's what happens in the EU) you
must, of necessity, compete against other candidates for the position. It's
not gladiatorial, but it is competition. Once you're in a job, you adapt,
learn, cooperate, get the job done.

Paul Strasser
Windsor Technologies, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 200
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-926-1982
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com