RE: Job Cuts - Telecom

Subject: RE: Job Cuts - Telecom
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:40:20 +0100

>Check out the 'Telecoms job cuts watch' link at
>http://news.ft.com/news/industries/telecommunications.
>It looks veeeeeerrrrry bad for anyone in telecom.

First define "telecom". I've had three techwriting jobs in "telecom" in the
past six years, and none of them were anywhere in the same ballpark by an
order of magnitude <stitch>. Telecommunications is one of the biggest *and
most varied* modern industries: I don't think things are ever going to look
very bad for the entire industry, though certainly it looks like AT&T
workers should be keeping one eye on their Dilbert and the other on the
exit.

But telecommunications is the one industry on which all other modern
industries ultimately rely. We're about as safe from being long-term
unemployed as a coal miner during the Industrial Revolution.... which is to
say, I'll be wary of right-wing governments trying to destroy the last
remnants of the industry sometime around 2200. If I'm around then.

Jane Carnall
The writers all stand around a cauldron chanting and occasionally tossing in
a small mobile phone. Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and
mine alone. Apologies for the long additional sig: it is added automatically
and outwith my control.

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.