Re: Word Style Organizer

Subject: Re: Word Style Organizer
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:40:52 -0600

Ellen wrote:
> I created a Word and Frame template/style guide.
> The problem is with the Word template. We (read I) don't know how to =
> instruct people here on how to use it for existing documents...

> ...How can I instruct others to use template styles on existing document?

To be honest, I think it's asking too much to expect all your coworkers to
attach your template to their existing documents. There's a lot that can
go wrong.

Instead, I think that task would be best left to you, and in some cases,
simply ignored, unless the legacy documents are going to continue to be
modified and updated in the future.

I suggest that you provide a new template for them to use on all NEW
documents. That creates sort of a "that was then, this is now" cutoff,
whereby all new docs will be written using your new templates, and all old
docs will be left as-is.

For very important legacy docs that will be updated and used a lot in the
future, YOU can attach the new template and perform the requisite
tweaking, and in doing so, retain CONTROL.

Control is good.

Just my thoughts - not sure how applicable they are to your situation. But
don't waste time cleaning up docs that are either static or bound for
retirement.

-Keith Cronin

I *think* I'm a tech writer. But it's been a few days since the topic has
been discussed on the list, so now I'm not so sure.